Friday, May 17, 2013

Is the Tonight Show's Karaoke Couple faking it!?

The intersection of late-night television and social media has been quickly expanding. What a perfect fit, too! I, for one, love cuddling up for some late-night shows with my computer on my lap and a nice glass of sweet tea - or a glass of pinot - in my hand!
 
From Jimmy Fallon's mobile app, LNJF, featuring clips and joke-apps, to Jimmy Kimmel's YouTube Challenges, I'm typically not disappointed. And, while a little late to the game, Jay Leno finally had a huge social media hit in the Karaoke Gas Station video that went viral last week, garnering almost 8 million views in 4 days. (Granted, probably 10 of those are from me... I laughed so hard!)
 
But earlier this week,  TheSmokingGun.com released information claiming the clip is a fake! Apparently, the couple featured are both Chicago-based actors and have been featured in similar videos by The Tonight Show. I feel a little cheated. Here's the thing... the clip is FUNNY. The scenario is FUNNY. I like them! I actually might not have CARED if Leno was upfront about it and told us it was a skit. But don't lie to me. Social media is supposed to be all about authenticity and, when viewers feel cheated or lied to, trust and engagement go down the tubes.
Weigh in, here. Are
pre-fabricated skits all part of show business, or should we feel misled?

No comments:

Post a Comment